It also goes by other names like neck arthritis or cervical osteoarthritis in the medical field. It is a type of age-related health issue that affects the joints as well as disks of an individual present near the neck region. The cartilage and the bones present in that region wear off due to regular wear and tear which finally results in this condition. Age is considered to be a major risk factor with respect to this condition. There are other reasons that result in this condition as well. Mayo Clinic had stated that about 85 percent people whose ages are above the 60 years have chances of showing signs related to Cervical Spondylosis. Some of them may show signs like chronic pain and stiffness when they suffer from this condition. In most scenarios, people are able to go on with their regular schedules after suffering from Cervical Spondylosis.
Causes of Cervical Spondylosis
It is a fact that gradual tearing of the cartilage and bones is the most common cause of this condition. Some of the other reasons that might facilitate the incidence of Cervical Spondylosis are mentioned below:
- Bone Spurs: When the human body is producing some extra bone in order to make the spin stronger, it can lead to overgrowths. Such extra growths may press on some of the delicate parts of the spine resulting in excess pain.
- Herniated Disks: Spinal disks can develop cracks leading to the leakage of internal cushioning material. When this material is compressed near the spinal cord or nerves, it could result in numbness or sciatica.
- Dehydrated Spinal Disks: Spinal bones have disks present in-between that are pad-like in nature used for the absorption of shocks resulting from lifting, twisting, or other related activities. Disks contain a form of gel-like substance which have the possibility of drying out with time. The drying out can increase the level of friction resulting in more pain in the region. The Mayo Clinic states that this process roughly starts to begin when the individual has crossed the age of 40 years.
- Injury: Any injury as a result of car accident or any other incident has the possibility to cause Cervical Spondylosis.
- Overuse: Certain occupations and hobbies require repetitive movements or heavy lifting which could add added strain to the neck region causing wear and tear very early.
- Ligament Stiffness: There are cords that connect the spinal bones together. When they become stiff due to age, it could gravely affects the neck movements making it tighter.
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
Patients may not experience significant symptoms associated to this conditions. Pain is known to be the most common among all symptoms. The incidence of pain may increase when:
- Tilting the neck towards the back side
Muscle weakness is also observed to be a common symptom.
When to see A Doctor?
If you notice that your arms, shoulders, legs, are experiencing numbness along with a tingling sensation, you must see a doctor soon. You may also feel that you are losing your bowel or bladder control. This means that the situation has worsened requiring immediate medical helps.
Health Information Articles
- Asthma Drug Could Be a Potential Drug for Treating Aortic Aneurysm
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Parkinson`S Effect On The Gut
- Hepatitis B
- Optimize Cholesterol Level
- Lump Isn’t Always the First Sign of Breast Cancer
- Calcium And Vitamin D Supplements Do Not Help In Lowering Risk Of Bone Fracture
- A Simple Molecule Can Help in Overcoming Pre-Diabetes
- Bone Repair Process Trigger Through Nanophenomenon
- Blood Sodium Levels Impacts Cognition in Late Adulthood
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Enzyme’s Role in Burning Calories during Dieting and Obesity
- Calcium Pills May Facilitate Artery Build-up
- Benign Fasciculation Syndrome And Causes
- Certain Genes Can Help Bladder Cancer And Its Treatment
- Botox Injections Could Help With Migraine Pain in Children and Adolescents
- Supervised Injection Facilities to Help In Reducing Overdose Deaths
- Study Suggest There is a Role of Vitamin D3 to Heal or Prevent Cardiovascular Injuries
- Virus Ebola
- Antiemetic Drugs - Types and Side Effects
- Drugs To Reduce Harmfully Fat Cells
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers and Its Impact
- Have We Invited Our Suffering?
- According To Scientists, The Flavours Of E-Cigarette Are Toxic To The White Blood Cells
- Birth Control Pills Enhance the Risk of Breast Cancer
- Commonly Used Heartburn Medications Liked to Kidney Trouble
- Better Anti-Thrombotic Medication Target Identified
- Antioxidants Might Not Curb Dementia
- Does Asthma Have A Cure?
- New Drug Could Help In Fighting TB
- How to ease the Side Effects of ADHD Drugs in Adults
- Association Between Five Vascular Diseases And A Common Single Genetic Variant
- Melanoma Survival And Impact Of Existing Drugs
- Home Remedies for Hemorrhoids!
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Prevention of Osteopenia!