Abilify, also known as aripiprazole is an antipsychotic drug used in certain psychotic conditions like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. It also used in treating major depressive disorders in adults.
Mode of action
Aripiprazole is an atypical antipsychotic drug. It works by effecting the actions of certain chemicals present in the brain. It helps in restoring the equilibrium of the neurotransmitter (natural chemicals) in brain.
Uses of Abilify
Abilify is a potent medication that is used in treating:
- Mood/ mental disorders like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, irritability attached to autistic disorder and Tourette's disorder.
- It is also used as a conjunct with other drugs in treating depression.
- It is used in the children that are 6 years of age or above to treat Tourette's disorder and the symptoms attached to autistic disorder like mood swings, irritability, temper tantrums, self- injury and aggression.
- It helps in decreasing hallucinations and improving concentration. It reduces nervousness and helps to think clearly and positively about self.
- Helps in treating severe mood swings and also decrease their frequency of occurrence.
How to use Abilify?
Abilify is ingested orally with or without food as instructed by the physician. The doctor will decide the dose according to the medical condition, age, other drugs that the patient might be taking and the response to treatment.
Side – effects of Abilify
There are certain side- effects that Abilify induce. Some side- effects are not so serious and resolve on their own, while some side-effects are very serious and need immediate medical attention.
The side- effects include:
- Blurred vision
- Excessive salivation/ drooling
- Weight gain
- Trouble in sleeping
These side- effects are light and do not need medical care but, if they do not resolve on their won, you must consult the doctor.
Some serious side- effects of Abilify are:
- Mood/ metal changes like increased anxiety, suicidal thoughts and depression
- Tremor (shaking)
- Trouble in swallowing
- Muscle spasm
- Mask-like expressions of the face
- Signs and symptoms of infection like fever, sore throat, etc
This drug may also lead to serious and rare conditions like:
- Hike in the level of blood sugar that can worsen diabetes. And, very rarely and serious condition namely diabetic coma may occur.
- A are condition called tardive dyskinesia may develop due to this drug.
- Another rare side effect with this drug is neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS).
- Allergic reactions manifesting as itching, rash, swelling on throat, tongue or face, trouble breathing and dizziness may occur. But, it is very rare.
Pregnancy and breast- feeding
The drug should be in pregnancy only when necessary. Consult your doctor if you get pregnant during the course of taking this drug. The babies that are born to mothers who have consumed this drug in their last trimester may rarely have symptoms like muscle stiffness, drowsiness, breathing difficulties, feeding difficulties and crying constantly.
Abilify passes into the breast milk and affect the babies. Hence, it is strictly prohibited to use if you feed a baby.
Celexa is an SSR inhibitor, and is used to treat depression. It helps to keep the right balance of chemicals in the brain which prevents depression.
Desyrel is used for treatment of depression. It may also be used for relief of an anxiety disorder (e.g., sleeplessness, tension), chronic pain.
Dilantin is indicated for treatment of certain types of seizures. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Effexor is an SNR inhibitor, which is used to treat depression. It works by restoring the balance of certain natural substances in the brain.
Elavil is a tricyclic antidepressant. They increase the activity of certain chemicals in the brain, which help improve mood.
Fludac is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, bulimia nervosa, premenstrual dysphonic disorder, and many other disorders.