Flonase is typically a nasal spray which contains fluticasone. Fluticasone is a corticosteroid which prevents the release of certain substances which cause inflammation in the body. Flonase nasal spray is usually used for the treatment of nasal congestion, running nose, sneezing and watery or itchy eyes caused due to seasonal or year round allergies. Flonase nasal spray can be used by adults & children above 4 years of age and is available as an OCD without a prescription.
Composition of Flonase
The active ingredient in case of flonase Nasal Spray includes fluticasone propionate. When it comes to solubility, this spray is practically insoluble in water, slightly soluble in 95 percent ethanol and methanol, freely soluble in imethylformamide and dimethyl sulfoxide. When it comes to the inactive ingredients, the nasal spray contains microcrystalline cellulose, dextrose, carboxymethylcellulose sodium, 0.02% w/w benzalkonium chloride, 0.25% w/w phenylethyl alcohol, polysorbate 80. The pH ranges from 5 to 7. Each spray typically delivers 50 mcg of fluticasone propionate.
Uses of Flonase
Fluticasone is used for relieving seasonal & year round allergic & non allergic nasal symptoms, which would be stuffy/ runny nose, itching & sneezing. This spray can also be used to relieve eye allergies and their symptoms like itchy, watery eyes. This medication actually belongs to corticosteroids class of drugs and works by blocking the effects of those substances which cause allergies (pollen, pet dander, mold, dust mites) for the purpose of reducing the swelling.
Side effects of Flonase
In case of Flonase, the following are the severe side effects which one might experience after consumption of the medication:
- Difficulty in breathing;
- Swelling of the face, tongue, lips or throat
- severe or ongoing bleeding in the nose
- noisy breathing or runny nose
- crusting around the nostril region
- redness, sores, or patches of whites in the mouth or throat
- Chills and weakness
- nausea, vomiting and flu symptoms
- The wound taking a lot of time to yield
- Blurred vision
- Pain in the eye
- Seeing halos around the lights
In case of Flonase, the following are the common side effects which one might experience after consumption of the medication:
- minor nosebleeds
- Burning or itching in the nose
- Sores or patches of white colour in and around the nose
- Trouble in breathing
- Back pain
- sinus pain
- sore throat
- Nausea and vomiting
Contraindications of Flonase
One should not use Flonase in case of the following:
- If one is allergic to Flonase or any of its ingredients
- If one suffers from tuberculosis or some other illness or infection
- If one has glaucoma or cataracts
- If one suffers from some liver disease
- If one suffers from herpes simplex virus
- If one has sores or ulcers inside the nose
- If one has had some recent injury or surgery
- If one suffers from diabetes
Pregnancy and Flonase
Flonase is an FDA pregnancy category C medication whose effects are not known on an unborn baby, and hence it needs to be avoided in case of pregnancy. Also, it is not known if this medicine passes into breast milk or not and hence this medicine needs to be avoided when a woman is breastfeeding.
Aristocort (triamcinolone) is a corticosteroid with mainly glucocorticoid and anti-inflammatory activity.
20mcg x 8 Inhalers
Atrovent is indicated for treatment of runny nose caused by allergies. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
5mg x 360 Tabs
Clarinex is an antihistamine, used to treat symptoms of seasonal allergic rhinitis. It effectively treats itchy/watery/red eyes, and runny/itchy nose.