A Popular Prostate Drug Could Lead to Serious Side Effects
It has been found by researchers that a prescribed medication called Avodart (Dutsteride) used for treating a condition called benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH could result in several types of severe side effects like elevated cholesterol levels, diabetes, worsening erectile dysfunction, and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (also called NAFLD).
It is important for physicians and healthcare professionals to know all about these recent findings before prescribing this medication to patients. They also need to have a discussion regarding the side effects that Avodart could bring about surrounding sexual and metabolic function before deciding to prescribe them. The study was published in a journal called the Hormones Molecular Biology and Clinical Investigations.
The prostate among men keeps enlarging with the passage of time. This condition may eventually end up in urinary retention along with other types of urinary tract symptoms, like reduced flow of urine that could cause a lot of inconvenience as the person will have to wake up several times during the night for urinating. In order to help individuals who are suffering from such symptoms, men are given alpha blocker, like Tamsulosin (Flomax) that helps in relaxing the smooth muscles present in the prostate. This will eventually help in improving the urination. Other medications may also be prescribed, such as Avodart (Dutsteride) or Proscar (Finasteride), which mainly aims to reduce the volume of the prostate aiding the process of urination.
Abdulmaged M. Traish, professor from the Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM), corresponding author of the study, mentioned that the results of this study show that Avodart does have a negative effect on the overall health of men as it was found to enhance the blood sugar level, A1C, and blood lipids. Having A1C and blood glucose in excess could make a person more prone to suffering from diabetes, and on the other hand increase in the lipids could result in NAFLD. The most important thing to be aware of is that this agent could cause serious sexual problems that are known for reducing the quality of life.
This study included men as participants who previously had BPH and were also prescribed Avodart. The results were compared with another group of participants who were administered Tamsulosin (a type of alpha blocker). Both the groups were monitored for about 36 to 42 months. Data on liver function enzyme, HDL cholesterol (or good cholesterol), LDL cholesterol (or bad cholesterol), total cholesterol, haemoglobin A1C, and blood glucose were collected on every visit which was continued for the stipulated period of time. Participants also had to answer questionnaires for evaluating their quality of life along with the international index of erectile dysfunction for the purpose of assessing their overall sexual activity.
The researchers from BUSM hypothesized that Avodart may result in serious forms of side effects which weren’t obvious in a few years previously. Traish stated that to help in reducing the negative impact caused by the drug, it is important for physicians to have a dialogue regarding the adverse effects caused by Avodart with the patients.
Health Information Articles
- 4 Healthy, Creamy, Coconut Beverages to Indulge In
- Causes of Pressure Build-up behind the Eyes
- Alleviate Asthma By Treating Eczema
- Carbs Causing Trouble for Patients Having Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Deaths caused by Fentanyl Overdoses Double in One Year
- Brain Tumours In Men - Diagnostics And Treatments
- All about Adenovirus
- Can Stress Cause Acid Reflux?
- A Popular Prostate Drug Could Lead to Serious Side Effects
- HeartBurn Medicines and Risk of Deaths
- Deep Brain Simulations And Higher Survival Rate For Parkinson's Disease Patients
- A New Treatment Can Relieve Childhood Eczema and Asthma
- Asthma Drug Could Be a Potential Drug for Treating Aortic Aneurysm
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Parkinson`S Effect On The Gut
- Hepatitis B
- Optimize Cholesterol Level
- Lump Isn’t Always the First Sign of Breast Cancer
- Calcium And Vitamin D Supplements Do Not Help In Lowering Risk Of Bone Fracture
- A Simple Molecule Can Help in Overcoming Pre-Diabetes
- Bone Repair Process Trigger Through Nanophenomenon
- Blood Sodium Levels Impacts Cognition in Late Adulthood
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Enzyme’s Role in Burning Calories during Dieting and Obesity
- Calcium Pills May Facilitate Artery Build-up
- Benign Fasciculation Syndrome And Causes
- Certain Genes Can Help Bladder Cancer And Its Treatment
- Botox Injections Could Help With Migraine Pain in Children and Adolescents
- Supervised Injection Facilities to Help In Reducing Overdose Deaths
- Study Suggest There is a Role of Vitamin D3 to Heal or Prevent Cardiovascular Injuries
- Virus Ebola
- Antiemetic Drugs - Types and Side Effects
- Drugs To Reduce Harmfully Fat Cells
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers and Its Impact
- Have We Invited Our Suffering?
- According To Scientists, The Flavours Of E-Cigarette Are Toxic To The White Blood Cells
- Birth Control Pills Enhance the Risk of Breast Cancer
- Commonly Used Heartburn Medications Liked to Kidney Trouble
- Better Anti-Thrombotic Medication Target Identified
- Antioxidants Might Not Curb Dementia
- Does Asthma Have A Cure?
- New Drug Could Help In Fighting TB
- How to ease the Side Effects of ADHD Drugs in Adults
- Association Between Five Vascular Diseases And A Common Single Genetic Variant
- Melanoma Survival And Impact Of Existing Drugs
- Home Remedies for Hemorrhoids!
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Prevention of Osteopenia!