A Simple Molecule Can Help in Overcoming Pre-Diabetes
Restoring the coenzyme Q10 levels, an important molecule helpful in the production of energy in cells, could be used for overcoming pre-diabetes or insulin resistance. Pre-diabetes is a precursor of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
Under experimental laboratory settings, insulin resistance and CoQ levels were analysed together. The experiments incorporated mouse models and several samples from human subjects. This ambitious research collaboration was conducted with the Garvan Institute of Medical Research, University of New South Wales, Genentech Inc., Duke University School of Medicine, Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, and the University of Sydney.
Insulin resistant muscle tissues and body fat showed signs of lower CoQ concentrations. When the levels were replenished, the pre-diabetes or insulin resistance were overcome.
Dr. Daniel Fazakerly belonging to the Charles Perkins Centre and University of Sydney’s School of Life and Environmental Science, co-author of the study, mentioned that CoQ is known for converting several nutrients like sugar and fat into unstable energy.
Mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cells, are known to contain CoQ. CoQ is necessary to keep the electricity flow normal for the purpose of energy production, according to Fazakerly. Energy production has the potential of generating reactive chemical species, also known as ‘oxidants’ or ‘reactive oxygen species’, in the form of by-products that can damage the cells of the body.
Previous research studies were able to show that these oxidants are capable of causing insulin resistance. The study has been able to find that if the mitochondria have lower level of CoQ, it has the potential to enhance the oxidant formation in the cell.
Therefore, replenishing the amount of CoQ in mitochondria, in animals or cells, could help in restoring the ‘normal’ mitochondrial oxidants along with the reversal of insulin resistance.
The study was published in eLife. It was able to show a missing link in the understanding of the diet changes in triggering insulin resistance, according to Professor David James from the University of Sydney’s Charles Perkins Centre, co-author of the study.
Professor James mentioned that consuming a high sugar and high fat diet could increase the risk of developing pre-diabetes and obesity. The study is able to provide a clearer understanding regarding the mechanism behind it.
Professor Roland Stocker belonging to the University of New South Wales and Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute, also the co-lead author of the study, said that the findings are able to provide a direction for the future treatments give to patients for pre-diabetes and insulin resistance.
Replenishing the levels of CoQ could be an incredible preventive measure for diseases linked with pre-diabetes or insulin resistance, like dementia, cancers, cardiovascular disease, and type-2 diabetes.
Professor Stocker also added that oral supplements of CoQ may not be very effective in restoring the CoQ level in mitochondria because of the low absorption level.
This research study has been able to provide momentum for finding alternative ways to increase CoQ level in mitochondria for the treatment of pre-diabetes and insulin resistance. If external supplements are not be effective, other ways of stimulating the body to produce the coenzyme in larger quantities should also be useful in preventing the CoQ levels from lowering.
Health Information Articles
- Everything to Know About Hyperkeratosis
- Anger Is No Solution To Any Problem
- Cancer of the Pancreas
- Causes of Breast Cancer and its Treatment
- Down Syndrome
- Folic Acid to Prevent Autism, Side Effect of Antiepileptic Drugs
- How to Get Rid of Aphids
- Nasal Polyps
- Klinefelter Syndrome (X Chromosome)
- A Key to Prevent Osteoarthritis
- 4 Healthy, Creamy, Coconut Beverages to Indulge In
- Causes of Pressure Build-up behind the Eyes
- Alleviate Asthma By Treating Eczema
- Carbs Causing Trouble for Patients Having Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Deaths caused by Fentanyl Overdoses Double in One Year
- Brain Tumours In Men - Diagnostics And Treatments
- All about Adenovirus
- Can Stress Cause Acid Reflux?
- A Popular Prostate Drug Could Lead to Serious Side Effects
- HeartBurn Medicines and Risk of Deaths
- Deep Brain Simulations And Higher Survival Rate For Parkinson's Disease Patients
- A New Treatment Can Relieve Childhood Eczema and Asthma
- Asthma Drug Could Be a Potential Drug for Treating Aortic Aneurysm
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Parkinson`S Effect On The Gut
- Hepatitis B
- Optimize Cholesterol Level
- Lump Isn’t Always the First Sign of Breast Cancer
- Calcium And Vitamin D Supplements Do Not Help In Lowering Risk Of Bone Fracture
- A Simple Molecule Can Help in Overcoming Pre-Diabetes
- Bone Repair Process Trigger Through Nanophenomenon
- Blood Sodium Levels Impacts Cognition in Late Adulthood
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Enzyme’s Role in Burning Calories during Dieting and Obesity
- Calcium Pills May Facilitate Artery Build-up
- Benign Fasciculation Syndrome And Causes
- Certain Genes Can Help Bladder Cancer And Its Treatment
- Botox Injections Could Help With Migraine Pain in Children and Adolescents
- Supervised Injection Facilities to Help In Reducing Overdose Deaths
- Study Suggest There is a Role of Vitamin D3 to Heal or Prevent Cardiovascular Injuries
- Virus Ebola
- Antiemetic Drugs - Types and Side Effects
- Drugs To Reduce Harmfully Fat Cells
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers and Its Impact
- Have We Invited Our Suffering?
- According To Scientists, The Flavours Of E-Cigarette Are Toxic To The White Blood Cells
- Birth Control Pills Enhance the Risk of Breast Cancer
- Commonly Used Heartburn Medications Liked to Kidney Trouble
- Better Anti-Thrombotic Medication Target Identified
- Antioxidants Might Not Curb Dementia
- Does Asthma Have A Cure?
- New Drug Could Help In Fighting TB
- How to ease the Side Effects of ADHD Drugs in Adults
- Association Between Five Vascular Diseases And A Common Single Genetic Variant
- Melanoma Survival And Impact Of Existing Drugs
- Home Remedies for Hemorrhoids!
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Prevention of Osteopenia!