Combat Cold and Flu This Year
Weather changes always end up triggering cold and flu in people. There may not be any specific way to avoid flu or cold, you can try out certain things that can help in reducing the chances of acquiring them when the winter season is around the corner. This article will give you a detailed account of the information that can help you in preventing cold and flu.
Basics of Cold and Flu
The symptoms are quite similar in both cold and flu. These two conditions can be quite commonly seen in people during the winter months as compared to any other time of the year. But there are some significant differences between the two:
- Flu is caused by influenza viruses, whereas cold can result from several types of viruses.
- Flu can be prevented using a vaccination, whereas common cold does not have any vaccine.
- Kids are more susceptible to flu and cold. Cold is more common as compared to flu among adults.
The symptoms are similar for both the conditions. People may have difficulty figuring out the difference between the two. Some ways that can help you differentiate the two conditions are mentioned below:
- Fever is rare in cold, but common in flu
- While suffering from cold, you will experience a sore throat and a runny nose
- Body aches are not very common and mild in nature, unlike flu
- You will not have serious complications in case of cold
CDC recommends people to get a flu shot annually to prevent flu. The vaccine can be given to anymore above the age of 6 months.
Preventing Cold and Flu
You may have a reduced chance of having flu after getting a flu shot. But you still may suffer from cold during the winters. To lower the risk, try out these tips:
- Try washing hands with soap and water for 20 seconds at least.
- In case water and soap is not available, use an alcohol-based sanitizer.
- Try getting enough amount of sleep
- Try exercising regularly
- Try staying away from a sick person
- Try wearing a mask when around a sick person
Remedies for Cold and Flu
You may not find any foolproof method for avoiding cold and flu. In case you catch any of the two conditions, you can try out these remedies:
- When you have serious complications resulting from flu, take antiviral drugs.
- To reduce fever and pain, you can use pain relievers like acetaminophen and ibuprofen
- For nasal symptoms you can use over-the-counter nasal decongestants or sprays.
- Avoid taking antibiotics as they do not help in case of flu or cold
Avoiding the Spread of Cold and Flu
If you do not wish to pass flu or cold to the people around you, you can try out these steps:
- Stay at home and avoid coming in close contact with people
- Disinfect the places that you have touched
- Keep washing your hands frequently after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose
Health Information Articles
- Discovery Of Thyroid Cancer Gene
- How to Deal With Chronic Heartburn
- Cancer Vaccines and Cure
- Aggressive Treatments Are Best For High Blood Pressure
- Home Remedies For Fistula in Mouth
- Molecules Can Cause Weight Gain during Middle Age, Scientists Say
- Chocolate Can Be Helpful in Preventing Irregular Heartbeat
- Preventive Measures for Dental Caries
- What is Plague Psoriasis?
- Common Painkillers May Increase Risk of Cardiac Arrest
- Exploding Head Syndrome: Seeing Light, Hearing Crashes
- Antipsychotic Medication Haloperidol
- Common Discomforts During Pregnancy And Their Way-Outs!
- Home Remedies for Obesity
- Drugs for Common Form of Vision Loss
- Cancer Cases Linked to Weight in US
- What Is Meant By Dementia?
- Combat Cold and Flu This Year
- Natural Treatment For Goose Egg
- Foreign Accent Syndrome
- ADHD in Adults and Dementia
- Abdominal Bloating
- How to Get a Fast Neck Pain Relief at Home
- Swine Flu
- Now Remove The Face Fat Easily!
- How to Treat Migraines?
- Chronic Dry Eye
- Anti-epileptic Medication Keppra
- Home Remedies for Constipation
- Atopic Dermatitis
- Naprosyn: Drug Uses, Dosage & Side Effects
- How To Get Rid Of Chafing Naturally!
- Back Pain Or A Sciatica Pain?
- Crohn’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- What Does Aspirin Do?
- Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva
- Keep A Check On Your Cholesterol By The Following Methods!
- Natural Ways To Treat Mucocele (Mucous Cyst)
- How To Get Rid Of Clogged Ears
- Heart Strokes Among Men
- How To Get Rid Of Blisters On Face
- Common Problems Faced During the Winter Season
- Natural vs. Albuterol, What Is Best To Treat Asthma?
- Birt-Hogg-Dube Syndrome
- Effects of Domestic Violence and Inequality on Child's Mental Health
- How to Prevent High Blood Pressure?
- Home Remedies for Impetigo
- Major Branches of Pharmacology
- Home Remedies For Acid Reflux In Babies