Protopic drug which contains tacrolimus as an active ingredient, and hence also referred by the following name is an up-to-date macrolide immunosuppressant. This drug functions in the way of reducing the cell activity of the immune system which is present in the body in such a way that the growth of the atopic dermatitis, also known as eczema gets reduced over the skin. This drug is typically used in those cases where one faces severe problem of atopic dermatitis or eczema on the skin.
Composition of Protopic drug
Protopic drug which contains tacrolimus as an active ingredient which is produced with the help of sreptomyces tsukubaensis. This drug is something to be used only on the dermatologist's recommendation and it contains either 0.03 percent or 0.1 percent of tacrolimus mixed in the base of paraffin, mineral oil, propylene carbonate, white wax and white petrolatum. The molecular formula for this drug is C44H69NO12-H2O, with the molecular weight being 822.03.
Uses of Protopic drug
Eczema is a condition, more of an allergy where red and itchy patches are formed on the surface of the skin such that they cause some irritation. Protopic drug is typically used in the treatment of this enzema in such a way they it tends to weaken the immune system of the body and then working on the infection.
This drug, which belongs to the topical calcineurin inhibitor's class of drugs, also known as TCIs are recommended to the patients, only in those cases, where the patient does not show a positive response to other forms of drugs.
Side effects of Protopic drug
The serious side effects experienced by people who have been exposed to the Protopic drug include-
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling on the face, tongue, lips or throat
- severe stinging, itching or burning
- A bit of soreness on the area where the medicine was applied
- Redness or crusting in the area around the hair follicles
- Swollen glands
- Signs of some form of skin infection (swelling, redness, oozing or itching).
The common side effects experienced by people who have been exposed to the Protopic drug include:
- mild burning, itching or stinging in the area where the drug is applied
- skin redness
- Cold or symptoms of flu which includes amongst others, sneezing, stuffy nose, sore throat
- Getting sensitive to the cold or hot temperatures
Contraindications of Protopic drug
One should not use protopic in case of the following:
- If one is allergic to tacrolimus or some of its ingredients
- If one suffers from skin cancer or has some skin infection like herpes or chickenpox
- If one suffers from genetic disorders like Netherton's syndrome, which is concerned with the skin
- If one has a weak immune system
- If one suffers from some kidney disease
- If one has large areas of skin which are swollen, red or irritated
- If one is less than two years old
Pregnancy and protopic drug
Protopic drug is a pregnancy category C drug. There is no documented proof of how the drug will behave in case of an unborn baby. Hence, the doctor needs to be informed by one, during pregnancy or their plans. This drug has a tendency to pass into the breast milk and hence it best needs to be avoided while feeding the young one.
Diprolene (Betamethasone) is a corticosteroid indicated for the relief of the inflammatory.
Desonate is a medication used to treat mild to moderate atopic dermatitis.
100mg x 240 Tabs
Dapsone is used for treatment of leprosy. It may be used in combination with other medications. It is also used to treat dermatitis herpetiformis.