Drug Name: Strattera
Active Ingredient: Atomoxetine
Availability: In Stock
Drug works by increasing the levels of norepinephrine, a neurotransmitter in the brain, which helps to improve attention span, reduce impulsiveness, and decrease hyperactivity. It is believed to affect the chemicals in the brain that contribute to ADHD symptoms.
Strattera is typically prescribed as part of a comprehensive treatment plan that includes behavioral therapy, counseling, and educational support. It is important to note that medicament is not a cure for ADHD, but it can help manage the symptoms and improve daily functioning.
How to use
Here are some general guidelines on how to use Strattera:
- Swallow the capsules: Medicine is available in capsule form and should be swallowed whole with water. Do not chew, crush, or open the capsules before swallowing.
- Take with or without food: Medicament can be taken with or without food. If you experience stomach upset, taking it with food may help alleviate any discomfort.
- Consistency is key: Take Strattera at the same time(s) each day to maintain a consistent level of the medication in your system. This can help optimize its effectiveness in managing ADHD symptoms.
- Follow the treatment plan: Strattera is typically prescribed as part of a comprehensive treatment plan for ADHD, which may include behavioral therapy, counseling, and educational support.
- Patience is required: Atomoxetine may take several weeks of regular use to achieve its full therapeutic effects. Be patient and continue taking the medication as prescribed, even if you do not notice immediate improvements.
Here are some general guidelines for Strattera dosage:
- Starting dose: The usual starting dose for children, adolescents, and adults is typically 0.5 mg/kg once daily or divided into two doses. The starting dose may be adjusted based on the individual's response and tolerability.
- Titration: The dosage of Strattera may be gradually increased at weekly intervals to achieve the target therapeutic dose. The recommended target dose is generally between 1.2 mg/kg and 1.8 mg/kg per day. This means that if a person weighs 70 kilograms, the target dose may range from 84 mg to 126 mg per day.
- Maximum dose: The maximum recommended dose for children and adolescents is usually 1.4 mg/kg per day or 100 mg per day, whichever is lower. For adults, the maximum recommended dose is typically 100 mg per day.
Common side effects of Strattera include:
- Gastrointestinal issues: Medicine may cause stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, and decreased appetite. Taking the medication with food may help alleviate these symptoms.
- Sleep disturbances: Some individuals may experience changes in sleep patterns, such as difficulty falling asleep (insomnia) or increased sleepiness. These effects are usually temporary and may improve with time.
- Dry mouth: Strattera can cause dryness of the mouth. Maintaining good oral hygiene and drinking plenty of water can help manage this side effect.
- Dizziness or lightheadedness: Atomoxetine may cause dizziness or feelings of lightheadedness, especially when standing up quickly. Taking precautions such as rising slowly from a seated or lying position can help prevent these symptoms.
- Mood changes: Some individuals may experience mood swings, irritability, or anxiety while taking Strattera.
- Increased heart rate and blood pressure: Medicine may cause a slight increase in heart rate and blood pressure. Regular monitoring of these vital signs is important, especially in individuals with pre-existing cardiovascular conditions.
- Sexual side effects: In some cases, Strattera may cause changes in sexual desire or function, such as decreased libido or erectile dysfunction.
- Allergic reactions: Although rare, some individuals may experience allergic reactions to Strattera. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop symptoms such as rash, itching, swelling, severe dizziness, or difficulty breathing.
Here are some instructions for storing Strattera:
- Keep in a cool, dry place: Store medicine at room temperature, preferably below 25°C (77°F). Avoid exposing it to excessive heat or moisture, as it may affect the stability of the medication.
- Protect from light: Keep capsules in its original container, which is designed to protect it from light. Do not transfer the capsules to a different container.
- Keep out of reach of children: Store Strattera in a secure location out of the reach of children and pets. It is important to prevent accidental ingestion or misuse.
- Check expiration date: Do not use drug beyond its expiration date. Check the label or packaging for the expiration date and discard any unused or expired medication properly.
- Medication disposal: If you have any unused or expired capsules, do not dispose of them in the regular trash. Follow your local guidelines or consult with a pharmacist to determine the appropriate method of disposal. This helps prevent environmental contamination and accidental ingestion by others.
If you suspect an overdose or have accidentally taken more than the prescribed dose of Atomoxetine, it is important to seek immediate medical attention or contact your local poison control center. Here are some general points to keep in mind regarding a potential overdose of Strattera:
- Symptoms of overdose: Overdosing on Strattera may lead to symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, dizziness, drowsiness, agitation, tremors, increased heart rate, high blood pressure, and in severe cases, seizures or loss of consciousness. However, the specific symptoms and their severity can vary among individuals.
- Prompt medical attention: If you suspect an overdose, do not delay seeking medical assistance. Contact emergency services or go to the nearest emergency room for immediate evaluation and treatment.
- Be prepared to provide information: When seeking medical help, be prepared to provide information about the medication, the amount you have taken, and the timing of the overdose.
- Treatment of overdose: The treatment of Strattera overdose may involve supportive measures to stabilize vital signs and manage symptoms.
If you miss a dose of Strattera, it is generally recommended to take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, there are a few important points to keep in mind regarding missed doses:
- Take it as soon as possible: If you remember that you missed a dose of Strattera within a few hours of the scheduled time, take the missed dose as soon as you remember. This helps to maintain a consistent level of the medication in your system.
- Skip if closer to the next dose: If it is close to the time for your next scheduled dose, it is generally advised to skip the missed dose and resume your regular dosing schedule. Taking a double dose to make up for the missed dose is not recommended.
- Do not double the dose: Taking a double dose to make up for a missed dose can increase the risk of side effects and may not provide any additional benefit.
- Maintain a consistent schedule: To optimize the effectiveness of Strattera, it is important to take it at the same time(s) each day. Establishing a routine can help you remember to take your medication consistently and reduce the likelihood of missing doses.