Drug Name: Xyzal
Active Ingredient: Levocetirizine
Availability: In Stock
Xyzal works by blocking the action of histamine, a substance in the body that is released during an allergic reaction. By blocking histamine, it helps alleviate symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, itching, and watery eyes.
Levocetirizine is available in different formulations, including tablets and oral solution.
How to use
Here are some general guidelines for using Xyzal:
- Timing of administration: Medicine can be taken with or without food. It is typically taken once a day, preferably in the evening, as it can cause drowsiness in some individuals.
- Swallowing the tablet: Take the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not chew, crush, or break the tablet before swallowing.
- Measuring the oral solution: If using the oral solution, carefully measure the prescribed amount using the measuring device provided. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- Do not exceed the recommended dosage: Taking more than the prescribed dose of Xyzal will not provide additional benefits and may increase the risk of side effects.
Here are some general dosage guidelines for Xyzal:
- Adults and adolescents (12 years and older): The usual recommended dose is 5 milligrams (mg) once daily, preferably in the evening. This can be in the form of a tablet or the prescribed amount of oral solution.
- Children (6 to 11 years old): The usual recommended dose is 5 mg (one tablet or prescribed amount of oral solution) once daily, preferably in the evening.
- Children (2 to 5 years old): The recommended dose is 2.5 mg (half a tablet or prescribed amount of oral solution) once daily, preferably in the evening.
- Children under 2 years old: The safety and effectiveness of Xyzal have not been established in children under 2 years of age. Consult with a pediatrician for alternative treatment options.
Like any medication, Xyzal can cause side effects in some individuals. While not everyone experiences side effects, it's important to be aware of potential adverse reactions. Here are some possible side effects:
- Drowsiness: One of the most common side effects of Xyzal is drowsiness or sleepiness. This is more likely to occur when starting the medication or when taking higher doses.
- Dry mouth: Levocetirizine can cause a sensation of dryness in the mouth. Staying hydrated and drinking water may help alleviate this symptom.
- Fatigue: Some individuals may experience a feeling of tiredness or fatigue while taking Xyzal.
- Headache: Headaches are a possible side effect of Xyzal, although they are generally mild and transient.
- Gastrointestinal symptoms: Medicine may cause gastrointestinal side effects such as nausea, stomach discomfort, or diarrhea in some individuals.
- Dizziness: Levocetirizine can occasionally cause dizziness or lightheadedness. It is advisable to avoid activities that require alertness, such as driving or operating machinery, if you experience this side effect.
- Allergic reactions: While rare, some individuals may experience allergic reactions to Xyzal. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop symptoms such as rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, or difficulty breathing.
When it comes to storing Xyzal, it is important to follow the recommended guidelines to maintain its effectiveness and safety. Here are some general storage instructions:
- Temperature: Store Xyzal at room temperature, typically between 20°C to 25°C (68°F to 77°F).
- Protect from moisture: Keep tablets in its original packaging or container with the lid tightly closed to protect it from moisture. Avoid storing it in the bathroom, where moisture levels are high.
- Keep away from heat and direct sunlight: Store Xyzal in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight, excessive heat, or extreme temperature fluctuations. Do not freeze the medication.
- Childproof storage: Keep medicine out of reach and sight of children and pets to prevent accidental ingestion.
If you suspect an overdose of Levocetirizine, it is important to seek immediate medical attention or contact your local poison control center. Here are some general steps to take in the event of an Xyzal overdose:
- Call emergency services: If someone is experiencing severe symptoms or is unconscious, call emergency services immediately.
- Provide necessary information: When seeking medical help, be prepared to provide information about the dosage and quantity of Xyzal that was taken, as well as the time of ingestion.
- Monitor vital signs: Keep a close eye on the individual's vital signs, such as heart rate and breathing. If there are any sudden changes or concerning symptoms, it is crucial to inform the medical professionals.
It is important to note that the information provided here is general in nature, and the appropriate steps to take in case of an Xyzal overdose may vary depending on the specific situation.
In case of an emergency, please dial your emergency services number without delay.
If you miss a dose of Xyzal, here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember: If you realize you have missed a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time for your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for the missed one.
- Continue with the regular dosing schedule: It is important to resume taking Xyzal according to the prescribed schedule after a missed dose. Taking it consistently as directed by your healthcare provider helps maintain its effectiveness in relieving allergy symptoms.
- Do not compensate with extra doses: Do not take extra doses of Xyzal to make up for missed doses. Taking more than the prescribed amount does not provide additional benefits and may increase the risk of side effects.