Commonly Used Heartburn Medications Liked to Kidney Trouble
The study was not able to pinpoint the cause and effect relationship between the two variables. It can also be hypothesized that people who require heartburn medications are prone to kidney diseases because of other reasons. The data review was able to derive a link between the two.
The medications that are known to be causing these problems belong to the class called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs). They help in reducing the production of stomach acid and are known to be widely used in the world.
According to Dr. Charat Thongprayoon from Bassett Medical Center, team lead of the study, the results of the study suggest that people who are consuming the drugs show a higher risk of having kidney problems, but the findings were found to be inconsistent.
They were able to find that people who were consuming PPI were three times more likely of suffering from kidney failure or chronic kidney disease as compared to those who do not take those medications.
The findings are scheduled to be presented in the American Society of Nephrology’s annual meeting situated in New Orleans.
Thongprayoon mentioned that the study was able to derive a strong correlation between PPI use and increased risk associated to kidney failure and kidney disease.
He also mentioned that the cause and effect relationship was not established yet. Though, he believes that it is important for people to seriously consider a PPI therapy. PPI usage in chronic amounts should be avoided.
Two kidney specialists also stated that the research holds significant scientific value.
Dr. Ernesto Molmenti mentioned that it is extremely important to go through the potential side effects before taking medications. This shouldn’t be only done with respect to medications, but also with different procedure and treatments in general. He is known to direct the paediatric and adult kidney transplantation in Northwell Health situated in Manhasset, New York.
Dr. Maria DeVita is also among those who help in directing kidney care at the Lenox Hill Hospital situated in New York. She had noted that PPIs are among those drugs that are consumed very commonly all around the globe. She specifically mentioned the popularity of those PPIs that gained the status of over-the-counter drugs progressively in the past years.
Along with it, DeVita also mentioned that PPIs were earlier used mainly for only limited periods of time, but with time people have started consuming in over prolonged periods of time, sometimes even for years.
The study has not been able to establish if the drugs directly cause kidney trouble. Even though it hasn’t, it is very important to consider whether it is worth opting for prolonged usage of PPIs at different times just to make sure that the benefits gained out of the use is way higher than the potential risks involved, according to DeVita.
Experts have noted these findings which were presented at medical meetings were typically preliminary till it gets published in any of the peer-reviewed journals.
Health Information Articles
- All about Adenovirus
- Can Stress Cause Acid Reflux?
- A Popular Prostate Drug Could Lead to Serious Side Effects
- HeartBurn Medicines and Risk of Deaths
- Deep Brain Simulations And Higher Survival Rate For Parkinson's Disease Patients
- A New Treatment Can Relieve Childhood Eczema and Asthma
- Asthma Drug Could Be a Potential Drug for Treating Aortic Aneurysm
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Parkinson`S Effect On The Gut
- Hepatitis B
- Optimize Cholesterol Level
- Lump Isn’t Always the First Sign of Breast Cancer
- Calcium And Vitamin D Supplements Do Not Help In Lowering Risk Of Bone Fracture
- A Simple Molecule Can Help in Overcoming Pre-Diabetes
- Bone Repair Process Trigger Through Nanophenomenon
- Blood Sodium Levels Impacts Cognition in Late Adulthood
- Cervical Spondylosis
- Enzyme’s Role in Burning Calories during Dieting and Obesity
- Calcium Pills May Facilitate Artery Build-up
- Benign Fasciculation Syndrome And Causes
- Certain Genes Can Help Bladder Cancer And Its Treatment
- Botox Injections Could Help With Migraine Pain in Children and Adolescents
- Supervised Injection Facilities to Help In Reducing Overdose Deaths
- Study Suggest There is a Role of Vitamin D3 to Heal or Prevent Cardiovascular Injuries
- Virus Ebola
- Antiemetic Drugs - Types and Side Effects
- Drugs To Reduce Harmfully Fat Cells
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers and Its Impact
- Have We Invited Our Suffering?
- According To Scientists, The Flavours Of E-Cigarette Are Toxic To The White Blood Cells
- Birth Control Pills Enhance the Risk of Breast Cancer
- Commonly Used Heartburn Medications Liked to Kidney Trouble
- Better Anti-Thrombotic Medication Target Identified
- Antioxidants Might Not Curb Dementia
- Does Asthma Have A Cure?
- New Drug Could Help In Fighting TB
- How to ease the Side Effects of ADHD Drugs in Adults
- Association Between Five Vascular Diseases And A Common Single Genetic Variant
- Melanoma Survival And Impact Of Existing Drugs
- Home Remedies for Hemorrhoids!
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Prevention of Osteopenia!